Coastal Seasons’ interactive guide to some of San Luis Obispo County’s best options for gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan food.
San Luis Obispo County is home to many unique and quaint restaurants and shops. All along the beachside towns are spots perfect for stopping in and grabbing a bite to eat that’s tasty, as well as healthy. Below are some of the best options for gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan food.
1. Big Sky Cafe: Big Sky Cafe is a healthy cafe that serves fresh and organic foods from local farms. Described as “fresh market cuisine”, Big Sky Cafe’s menu is thoroughly labeled with their gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan options. Some unique choices are their Big Sky Noodle Bowl and their tacos with “soyrizo,” along with many others that can be easily altered as gluten or dairy-free. Located at 1121 Broad St. in San Luis Obispo, Big Sky Cafe is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. $$
2. Bliss Cafe: Tucked away from the vibrant energy of downtown San Luis Obispo, Bliss Cafe offers a creek-side retreat and a variety of high-quality plant-based and gluten-free dishes. Every meal features fresh, local and organic ingredients to nourish the mind, body and spirit. For an energizing treat, indulge in a nutrient-rich dessert or a glass of locally-brewed kombucha on tap. Bring a friend, bring a book, or just bring an appetite for Bliss. Located at 778 Higuera St. in San Luis Obispo, Bliss Cafe is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. $$
3. New Earth Superfoods: New Earth is a raw and organic vegan and vegetarian restaurant that carries a unique touch for cultured and fermented Superfoods. These are nutrient dense, high quality, great tasting and always organic. The chefs at New Earth also sprout, ferment, or marinate their many Superfood dishes to naturally increase their nutritional value. All of their foods are Non-GMO and never contain soy, dairy or harmful sugars. They are most known for their probiotic coconut yogurts, probiotic cheeses and coconut water kefirs. Located at 940 Chorro St. in San Luis Obispo, New Earth Superfoods is open for lunch. $
4. Flour House: Flour House is a modern eatery offering housemade pasta, aperitivi, and specializing in Pizza Napoletana—a heritage style so precious that it’s guarded by Italian law. The owners actively change the menu depending on their inspiration from different dishes and traditions throughout Italy. Their pizza dough and pastas are made in house with the highest quality of imported Italian flour. Housemade gluten-free pizza dough, housemade gluten-free pasta, and vegan cheese are available upon request. Located at 690 Higuera St. in San Luis Obispo, Flour House is open for dinner. $$
5. Pizza Solo: Pizza Solo prides itself in being a one of a kind pizza parlor. When the owners, Martha and Julien Pearl, realized they were tired of boring, chain restaurant pizza they decided to build a haven for innovative, healthy, and exciting pizza. They have dedicated themselves to operate a strong small business where customers feel good and satisfied when they patronize their restaurant and employees feel proud to work for them. Apart from the enthusiasm and passion they put forth, Pizza Solo is also special with their dietary accommodations. They purchase pre-made gluten-free 10″ round dough which can be substituted for any regular pizza crust. They also purchase Daiya Foods Shredded Mozzarella which is free of dairy, gluten, eggs, soy, peanuts, and fish. Located at 891 Higuera St. in San Luis Obispo, Pizza Solo is open for lunch and dinner. $
6. Goddess Goods: Goddess Goods is a locally owned organic cafe that offers fresh-pressed juice, smoothies, espresso, vegetarian/vegan food, and more! The owners, Summer Mote and Sierra Mace, are two Morro Bay locals who share a passion for healthy and delicious food. Among their mostly vegetarian and vegan menu options are fresh pressed juices, smoothies, and wellness shots, along with a variety of wraps and salads. Almost anything can be made gluten-free upon request. Located at 1124 Front St. in Morro Bay, Goddess Goods is open for breakfast and lunch. $
7. Surfside Donuts: Surfside Donuts offers a fun and unique twist on the average donut shop. Before them, there weren’t many donut options in Pismo Beach. But now that Surfside Donuts is around there is an abundance of unique and tasty donuts, with anything from cereal to bacon toppings. As a special treat, Surfside makes fresh vegan donuts for their customers every Friday. They also have fresh Acai Bowls with a variety of fruit blends and toppings. Located at 603 Dolliver St. in Pismo Beach, Surfside Donuts is open for breakfast and lunch. $
8. SloDoCo Donuts: The San Luis Obispo Donut Company is a donut shop with seemingly endless options. With all different categories, shapes, flavors and more, it is almost guaranteed that that customers will find anything they want. They have a wide array of gluten-free donut options, as well as a handful of vegan cakes. Located at 793F Foothill Blvd. in San Luis Obispo, SloDoCo is open 24 hours. $
9. Vegetable Butcher: As the name implies, Vegetable Butcher combines thoughtfully sourced premium meats and sustainable seafood found within the bounty of Central Coast farmer’s markets. They offer vegan, vegetarian, and fresh ethnically diverse cuisine with a playful twist. Their menu is thoroughly labeled with their vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options, such as the Spring Kale, Leek and Roasted Corn “Queso” (vegetarian and gluten-free) and the Chef’s Vegan Taco of the Moment (vegan and gluten-free). Located at 712 Marsh St., San Luis Obispo, Vegetable Butcher is open for lunch and dinner. $$
Editor’s Note: Did we forget some of your favorites? We’re always on the hunt for healthy eating options. Email us at editorial@Sbseasons.com with your suggestions for updates.