After months of preparation and a packed day of auditions from some of Santa Barbara’s most talented teenagers, Teen Dance Star has chosen the top ten finalists who will dance in the Teen Dance Star Santa Barbara Showcase Finale at the Lobero Theater on Saturday, January 28. This evening begins with an exciting red carpet entry and culminates in a high-energy performance from each finalist plus a phenomenal group dance number. Local and celebrity judges along with live audience voting will determine the winner, who will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship to further their dance education.
Audition judges Paige Harman Selby (LA-based dancer and choreographer who toured with Salt ‘n Pepa, Diavolo, among others), Tracy R. Kofford (Artistic Director, SBCC Department of Dance), Cecily Stewart (Director of Outreach for State Street Ballet) and Vibiana Pizano (President / Founder Flamenco Arts Festival) enjoyed all the hard work of dancers representing six schools from Carpinteria through Los Olivos, styles from classic ballet to tap and Flamenco. Last year’s Teen Dance Star was a huge success! The Showcase Finale sold out in just four days and raised $3,000 for youth dance scholarships through the Arts Mentorship Program.
Congratulations to the ten finalists & alternate:
• Katie Cleek of Carpinteria High School, Curtis Studio of Dance
• Sophia Cordero, Santa Barbara High School, Zermeno Dance Academy
• Isabelle Hughes, Santa Barbara High School, Santa Barbara Dance Arts
• Karlise Loza, San Marcos High School, Gustafson Dance
• Tara Mata, Santa Barbara High School, Zermeno Dance Academy
• Natalie Mowers, La Colina Jr High School, Zermeno Dance Academy
• Kelby Pintard, Santa Barbara High School, Santa Barbara Dance Arts
• Catherine Pizzinat, San Marcos High School, Gustafson Dance
• Grace Salsido, Dos Pueblos High School, The Dance Network
• Audrey Zuck, Santa Barbara High School, Santa Barbara Dance Arts
• Blake Schryer, Los Olivos Elementary, Los Olivos Dance Gallery (alternate)
Teen Star was established in 2010 to support performing arts programs in local schools and to give area youth an outlet to showcase their talents, providing lasting benefits for these talented young performers and the Santa Barbara community at large. In addition to the two flagship competitions held each year–Teen Star, a singing competition, and Teen Dance Star, a dance competition–Teen Star also offers seminars and workshops, mentoring sessions and opportunities for the winners to be seen and heard at important civic events throughout the county. Learn more at TeenStar.us
Teen Dance Star is open to Junior High and High School students in Santa Barbara County who train in dance styles that take place on the floor including: ballet, hip hop, breakdancing, jazz, contemporary, ballroom, Latin, flamenco, Irish, folklorico, tap, and other classical and contemporary forms. Teen Dance Star’s mission is to mentor, educate, and use the Final Showcase proceeds provide scholarships to qualified youth to continue their dance training (Teenstar.us).
Tickets for Teen Dance Star will go on sale December 3 at noon at Lobero.com, or by calling the Lobero Box Office at 805.963.0761. Proceeds benefit youth scholarships with Arts Mentorship Program.